Pregnancy typically places a lot of strain on your back due to the weight of your growing baby. If you use the proper posture during this time, you can prevent and relieve much of this pain. These tips will help you to use proper posture while you are pregnant.
Proper Posture While You are Pregnant
Having the proper posture, by making sure your body is in alignment, is an essential tip for helping with back strain during pregnancy. Picture a straight line from your shoulders to your ears, and from your knees to your hips. By placing your body in this alignment, you will tuck your chin as you raise your head and shoulders and stand tall. You will also tilt your pelvis back slightly, or “tuck it in” so your lower back does not arch in a swayback position.
Along with this posture, you should wear supportive shoes with good arch support and low heels. During pregnancy, many women find their feet swell or grow, so you may need to buy a larger size than you usually wear until after your baby is born.
Proper Posture While You Are Lying Down During Pregnancy
While you are pregnant, your hormones will cause your ligaments to relax. This relaxation may increase your discomfort, even while lying down in bed. To cope with this sensation:
· Avoid lying on your back, especially when you are late in your pregnancy, as this is when the weight of your uterus can press on the large blood vessels inside your belly.
· Lay on your side while keeping your body in line. Slightly bend your knees and avoid twisting.
· Place pillows behind your back for support, as well as between your knees and under your belly. A firm mattress with a good pad will give you the best support.
· Getting out of bed, you need to raise your upper body with your arms and hands and put yourself into a sitting position. Once in a sitting position, you will need to move your legs over the side of your bed. Stand up slowly by using your leg muscles.
Proper Posture While Sitting During Your Pregnancy
If your job requires you to sit for long periods of time, proper posture while you are pregnant is essential to reduce or eliminate discomfort. These are some tips on how to sit properly.
· While you sit, you want to keep your body in alignment and avoid slouching or slumping. Having a sturdy chair that will give you lower-back support and tilt your pelvis forward, so you do not have a swayback position. Keep your knees slightly lower than your hips, and your feet should stay planted on the floor.
· Use a chair with soft armrests so your shoulders can relax, and keep your elbows close to your body.
· Try to avoid chairs with wheels as they can move while you stand up or sit down.
· Taking breaks from sitting every hour will also reduce much of your back pain while pregnant. Avoid crossing your legs while you are sitting as it can impair your circulation.
Proper Posture While Standing During Your Pregnancy
A person stands for a good part of their day, and using proper posture while standing during your pregnancy will help reduce or eliminate a lot of your back pain. Use these tips for proper standing posture while pregnant.
· The first tip is to avoid standing for too long, and while standing, vary your positions.
· When standing, you will want to keep your feet slightly apart and try not to lock your knees. It would be best if you kept your pelvis tucked in.
· If you find you have to stand in one place for an extended amount of time, place one of your feet on a small step stool. This movement will remove some of the pressure from your lower back.
Practicing good posture during your pregnancy is going to help you feel better and look better. Proper posture will also prevent a lot of the discomforts that are common late in one’s pregnancy.