A chiropractor can help make significant improvements for an adult in their overall wellness. However, adults are not the only ones to benefit from the chiropractor; children can also find many advantages offered through chiropractic care. The services provided through pediatric chiropractic care can provide numerous health benefits as well as provide peace of mind to parents.
How Pediatric Chiropractic Care Benefits Children
Kids are known for taking tumbles as they learn to run, walk, crawl, and as they grow, falls can happen during sporting events and other physical activities. Small stumbles may appear insignificant; however, they are able to cause a shift in your child’s musculoskeletal system. These shifts set the stage for restriction of movement in the joints, called segmental dysfunction.
- Segmental Dysfunction – a common condition that occurs when one (or more) of the vertebrae in the spine is not moving correctly or is malpositioned, often causing pain and/or loss of function for the surrounding tissues.
These restrictions can be painful by activating nociceptors (pain nerve fibers), cause tightness of the muscles, and prevent your child from moving freely. This effect causes harm to the body’s ability to function correctly. When these restrictions are corrected through pediatric chiropractic care, your child’s overall wellness is improved.
How Does Pediatric Chiropractic Care Work for Your Child?
Your child’s body is different from an adult in the respect that it is still growing and changing. Chiropractors working with children not only need to be aware of these changes, but they also need a pleasant bedside manner and be able to work through lots of wiggles.
Your child’s joints are still forming, and the adjustments made should be delivered quickly, but with little force. The pediatric chiropractor will make adjustments that require changes in technique, contact, and depth than those administered to adults.
Symptoms or conditions that chiropractic care may help improve for your child include:
- Sleep issues
- Digestive problems
- Sports injuries
- Focus or concentration issues
Chiropractic care for children is drug-free and noninvasive. Our chiropractors also work on nutrition and supplementation, which can be essential to proper growth and development. These are important benefits for parents who worry about the potential side effects from other approaches to care.
What You and Your Child Can Expect with Pediatric Chiropractic Care
There are going to be benefits you will notice from your child’s chiropractic care. These are some of the benefits you will see:
- Improved behavior and attitude– By reducing segmental dysfunction and how it affects the musculoskeletal system, it can improve attitudes and behaviors in children.
- Better sleep– Dysfunction, discomfort, and tension all affect how a child sleeps and stays sleeping. When these issues are alleviated through chiropractic care, it improves a child’s sleep and will help them to get the rest needed to function effectively
- Overall wellness and nutrition- Food choices and vitamin/mineral supplementation are paramount for a growing body, and addressing their specific needs now will help the child become a healthy adult.
We encourage parents to take their children for chiropractic care regularly, as their ability to describe issues is limited. It is also never too early to address physical health and improve their wellness. Wellness visits to a chiropractor can identify and treat problematic segmental dysfunction and improve your child’s wellness and overall health.